Friday, June 5, 2015

The Book of Ancient Romans Set {A review}


Memoria Press is a company who’s products we have used many times in our homeschooling journey.

We were very blessed to receive The Book of Ancient Romans Set for review.

About The Company:

Memoria Press is a family run publishing company that was founded in 1994 to help promote and transmit the classical heritage of the Christian West.  When Cheryl Lowe- “One of the Most Admired Women” of 2014 founded the company she wanted an emphasis on liberal arts and the great works of the Western tradition. 

About The Product:

The Book of the Ancient Romans Set is geared toward grades 6-9. As you will see, I used it with my 10th grader.  This set

The set includes:

  • The Book of the Ancient Romans, this book was originally written is the 1920’s by Dorothy Mills and has been brought back into publication with added illustrations through Memoria Press.   The book itself is over 400 pages, but broken down into chapters.  According to the table of contents you only do one chapter per lesson. 
  • The Student Book, this book is full of things like the facts to know section, the vocabulary section (your student actually has to fill in the definitions here), comprehension questions (your student actually fills in the answers here).  There is an activity section, the activities are things like map work, timeline work, diagraming, researching, writing and more.
  • The Teacher Guide, this book mimics the student book with answers and answer guidelines written in.

Sample pages of all of these books can be found here.

A day/week in our life:

When I got these I planned on using them with my 10th grade son.  I laid out an easy lesson plan with him, breaking the entire 5 units with 26 lessons, 5 reviews and 5 unit tests over 26 weeks. We have had it for about 6 weeks before writing this review and my son is already on lesson 12.  He has been almost doubling what I had assigned. Not because it is too easy either.  It’s because he is actually enjoying learning.  He is not a huge history lover and it’s because he doesn’t enjoy getting creative and doing projects.  He has loved the style of this history.  Read the assigned pages, do the assigned work in the student book and be done.

Our thoughts and feelings:

I personally haven’t ever been disappointed with anything Memoria Press that we have used, and this was no exception.  I was actually surprised at how much my son jumped ahead on this one.  He said he likes it because it gets straight to the point and there is no fluff.The fact that he likes this history so much taught me a lot about his learning style.  As much as I cringe at workbook style learning, that is what my son likes.  I know he is learning also.  He brings up conversations about things he has been reading and learning about without me even asking him.

To see what others think of this check out this post. To see a wide variety of reviews check out our crew blog.

 Review Crew


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...